Monday 9 March 2015

How Thankful Are You?

 
I was saying my evening prayers, asking God to help me through some tough times I've been having, when suddenly it struck me. How much do we ask God for? How many things to we beg him to help us with?

The answer is a lot. When you have a problem, you ask him to help you through it. And that's good. God will always help us and he enjoys doing so.

But after our problem is gone, we seem to forget about God. Let him slip straight back into background and just get back into life. As easy as that.

We're forgetting something though. How many times do you thank God for his help? For all your blessing? Even for just listening to you? HOW MANY?!

I know for me personally, sadly not many. Which I realise is wrong. Why should we expect help if we're not even thankful for it? We don't realise what a blessing we have.

So that's why I'm taking up a new practise before bed each night. I'm going to go through my day and pick out ten things which I'm thankful for. Just ten. And then I'll say a decade of the rosary, thanking God for those TEN things.

It's not that big a thing, but I believe it's one step in the right direction to being a more thankful person and truly recognising everything God has done for us.

I want to be grateful for my life and be closer to God. And I believe this will help me. Just doing the small things will make a huge difference.

So whose joining me? Can you think of anything to be grateful for today?
I don't often write religious posts. I realise not even a quarter of my readers are Catholics or even Christens. So I try not to offend those readers. But today I just felt like writing something close to my heart. Something that really stirs me. Sorry if this isn't what you expected, I just needed to say it!
 -Kat

12 comments :

  1. I'm not someone who believes in God exactly, but this post kind of reminds me of a song titled, "I Bet You Don't Curse God" by Christina Grimmie, and yeah. Just wanted to say that.

    Have a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of that piece. I'll have to look it up. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. This is something that has been on my heart a lot actually, so its funny you'd mention it. I have tried to keep myself in a state of thankfulness and its hard a lot of the time. really hard. thank you for the reminder I needed today. We really need to start praising God and thanking Him more. it kills me how we forget so easily all the blessings He's given us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something I hate about myself. Why am I not more grateful? Why am I not happy with what I have?
      I'm glad this has helped you today. Stay strong.

      Delete
  3. Aww, Kat, I'm a Christian, and I have not seen a whole lot of bloggers write posts like these. I'm super glad you wrote this post up <3 I often pray so hard, because my difficulties are often quite overwhelming. I pass the thing with flying colors, and well, to be honest it's hard sometimes to remember that God's the one who helped me. Wonderful reminder <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Most people shy away from talking about their faith on the internet for the sake they're afraid of what people will think. I know some will sneer and not understand, but this isn't meant for them. This is meant for those who understand and want someone to share their faith with.
      I'm praying for you! I should write more of these posts for those like you who want to hear this stuff!

      Delete
  4. You just converted me - every night I'll try to thank God for ten things in my day - thank you! ☺
    You should write more religious posts, their really interesting.

    Beth ❤
    P.S I'm catholic too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems such a small thing, doesn't it? But it's truly the small things in life which make the big difference:)
      Thank you. I'd love to if people are interested.

      Delete
  5. It's so hard to be thankful for what we have and thank the Lord. I try my best everyday to say it at night but sometimes I feel as if I'm lying and I'm saying it just because. *sigh*

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It does, but just look at what you have around you. Think about what you have been given. I don't try to be thankful about everything. It's too big to even understand properly. Just concentrate on a few small things. What means the most to me at the moment. What am I truly thankful for right this moment?

      Delete
  6. I know exactly what you mean. When I sit down to actually think about something, I end up thinking about all the bad stuff I did and keep on asking for forgiveness instead of taking a break from the self-deprecation and THANKING Allah for what He gave. There's a difference from constantly berating yourself and thanking for what you have and I really want to do both (but I get carried away by the former).
    Most of your readers might not be Christian or religious (I'm somewhat religious but not Christian :p) but I think you should post these kinds of things because they give insight to a lot of stuff that might be normal for you, but different and novel for other people. After all, we don't read blogs to see what we already know. The best part is supposed to be expanding horizons :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bad things in the world are sometimes overpowering, aren't they? But remember that it will be ok. He has a plan for us so just remember it. Everything will turn out ok.
      Thank you! This is really reassuring. Not many people who read my blog write this kind of thing, but it's so close to my heart, I sometimes wish I could more openly about it. And then I realised I can. It doesn't matter what they think. It's my blog and it should be somewhere I feel free to talk about anything I need to!

      Delete

If posts are the brain of a blog...then comments are it's heart - Neal Kind